Monday Memory

Almost forgot that today was Monday!

Sometimes memories are not always sweet or happy. Sometimes they are about hurt or misunderstandings.

20020611_Dcp_0670_Lilac First grade....I walked to school and home by myself. Even crossed streets without crossing guards in those days! It was spring and the lilacs were blooming. There was a house I passed that had the biggest most beautiful lilac bush I have ever encountered. Each day I would stop and smell them. To a little girl they were just heavenly. One day the lady who lived there asked if I would like some to take home to my mother. I was thrilled and excited. She cut me a bouquet that was almost as big as I was. I thanked her (that's what I had been taught to do) and skipped on home with a smile on my face. I had a huge bouquet to give to my Mother. Beautiful flowers just for her. It was special. Her response was not what my little heart had expected.

She yelled at me for stealing flowers from someone's yard! Called me a little thief! She wouldn't even listen when I tried to explain that the nice lady gave them to me to give to her! My heart that was so full of happiness broke with hurt that my gift to her had caused unhappiness instead of the smile that I had hoped for. I don't remember what happened. I think she went to the ladies house but to me it did not matter. I never brought her flowers again even though I loved her. Not even when she died.

12 comments:

agoodwitchtoo said...

That is so sad... I can imagine that you were crushed.

Kathleen J. said...

Memories like this can make us think twice about how we talk to our own children. At least I know my memories like this did.

Katya said...

Oh Dayna, what a terribly sad memory....As I read your recounting of this, I could just envision the whole thing.

I don't want to make excuses for your mom's behavior, but this whole event made me think of how seriously adults take this world. Instead of lovingly accepting your offering, then asking where they came from, she chose to accuse.

My mother hates flowers! No kidding! She loves flowers OUTSIDE, but she says that flowers in the house remind her of a funeral home! ACK! Unfortunately for her, I always try to put together a nice arrangement for my parents' anniversary! She always says she loves them, though! hehehe
At her age, mine is a "mom in training"!!!!!!!!

kittyd said...

Oh wow, my heart broke for the little girl that you were...(hugs)

AltheaP said...

Oh Scottie, I'm so sorry, pat, pat, there, there.

Chauncey said...

Hugs to young Dayna. Those are memories it would be nice to erase.

The Filigree Garden said...

My heart sank for you reading this. I can think of so many times this type of parental comment has changed the course of a child's life. They don't know the effects of their words. Now I want to apologize to my son for anything I might have said without being aware.

Glynis Peters said...

Oh what a story, sadly I have a similar one, we become stronger adults through harsh lessons tho. take care and thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

oh that is so sad - you made my heart weep! ((hugs))

Nan said...

Bitter/sweet memories come back when you least expect them to. I'm sure I will never be able to look at a lilac bush again with out your memory coming to mind. I was grinning and happy at the beginning of the story [the sweet part] and sad beyond a reasonable person should be when I read the last part, I guess I feel it too much with similar memories of my own. Hugs... and pats for the Scotties

Indigo Blue said...

Mothers have an emtional power that I am sure many do not fully realise. My own Mum has done this many times and I make sure that I do not and so far I have managed to stick to that. I find out first the facts. I am sorry that a lovely gesture by a stranger then carried home by you should have such an upsetting outcome.

hpalleiko said...

What a sad memory. It's amazing how we tuck little things like that away and realize when we are older how big a role they have played in our lives.

Thanks for the reminder to hug our children and listen when they speak. I needed it after the start to the day I had with my oldest child.